Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Defining Gadgets of the Naughts

Engadget's 10 devices that defined the decade.  Now, I only owned 3 of them (Windows XP, the Razr V3 and Xbox 360) unless you count descendents of the original iPod which could make 4.

In the comments much discussion whether the PS2 deserves to be there ahead of the Xbox 360.  I agree with those who say the 360's online portion was the kicker.

My list of important (though not perhaps decade-defining) devices or technologies would add:

  • LCD/Plasma HD TV
  • DVR technology (embodied in their list by the Tivo)
  • GPS navigation systems
  • Satellite Radio (which will become more important and profitable after Obama recreates the Fairness doctrine)
  • Flash Memory
How about yours?

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to put in a vote for USB 2.0 and Bluetooth 2.0 (now 2.1 I think)Their original versions were invented before this decade, but these improvements are pretty great compared to things like the razor 3.

    I love xbox360 dearly, but could care less of it's use or significance as a gagdet as PC based online multiplayer games have been around for so long that I'm not overly impressed by xboxlive's success. Additionally, xboxlive is a huge pain in the ass if you live in a foreign country but want to retain your US xbox live account.

    Next for me are the Airforce hand dryer and the Dyson Airblade. Never has drying your hands in a public bathroom been so easy, safe, and clean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't realize the Air Force was to credit for those wild hand dryers that always get a laugh from me - I'm just waiting for the skin to blow off my hands!

    Aunt Jackie

    ReplyDelete